Your hair is often the most critical factor in your appearance and for many that is not always a good thing. If you have dry frizzy hair then when Summer hits you are literally wishing you could chop it off and start over. Thankfully there is an answer to your problems but it often comes with a lot of questions and raised eyebrows. So what is Brazilian Blowout?
What is Brazilian Blowout?
The BRAZILIAN BLOWOUT was started in Brazil of course and is perhaps the most innovative and effective professional hair-straightening treatment in the on the market that was developed to not irritate or burn the scalp.
Just ask the celebrities from Halle Berry to Uma Thurman they are all getting it done.
How It Works
Through the use of a Brazilian Super Nutrient Complex and a proprietary polymer system, BB helps to improve hair condition with the addition of a layer of protective protein circumventing the hair shaft. This helps almost completely eliminate frizz hair and smooths out the cuticle.
- What results from this smoothing treatment is a healthy radiant shine from hair that is conditioned resulting in no frizz!
- The ONLY Professional Smoothing Treatment that improves the health of the hair.
- No Damage! and No harsh chemicals!
- Formaldehyde free (if you choose the BB zero solution)
- The original BB contains a minute amount of formaldehyde
What is Formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a chemical that is often used as a preservative and is found most commonly in wood as well as household products such as disinfectants and germicides. It is found in minute levels of the original Brazilian Blowout Acai Professional Smoothing Solution. Formaldehyde works by altering proteins in the hair called “keratins” which allows the hair to return back to it’s original healthy state.
BB got it’s bad press because it claimed to be “formaldehyde free” which it wasn’t entirely so they have had to change their description thanks to the FDA. The FDA made this decision because BB mislabeled their product when formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. You see the chemical methylene glycol is formed when formaldehyde gas is added to water. When it is heated the chemical changes back to formaldehyde and then is released into the air as a toxin.
So this begs the question, does formaldehyde cause cancer? According to Cancer.gov formaldehyde also OCCURS NATURALLY in the air you breathe on a daily basis. It is emitted from automobiles exhaust as well as household products. They also state that in fact some studies suggest it could cause cancer in humans but there is no proven evidence that it does. Only that it has been shown to cause cancer in rats, the same as sweet n low which continues to be a very popular sweetener.
The response we get from most people is:
- “doesnt everything cause cancer these days” the reward far outweighs the risk. I only get it done a couple of times a year.
- “If I am going to get cancer it will be from something else not the treatment that gives me confidence and makes me look much better and allows me to feel better about myself on a daily basis.”
- Isn’t sweet n low and the use of a microwave a known carcinogen? Ill take my chances with my BB treatment, there is no substitute for the way it smooths out my hair, I couldn’t live without it”
The fact is the FDA doesnt deem it harmful enough to take it off the market they just want the consumers to know the risks involved and make their decision based on facts. Now you know the facts and can decide for yourself with an educated mind. We believe that while many things are known carcinogens the BB is only something you have done every 3 or 4 months.
NOTE: With a well ventilated room and work area we provide as safe an environment as possible but you be the judge and decide for yourself. It’s not for everyone and if you feel like you don’t want to take the risk then by all means we agree you should find an alternative treatment or try the BB Zero as seen below.
So BB developed the Brazilian Blowout Zero solution which is completely formaldehyde free! If you ask for the Zero then we will provide that for you, the cost is the same.
Does Brazilian Blowout Zero work as well as the Original Solution?
In one word… NO! IT works but the results are not nearly as beneficial to the hair and our experience is it does not last as long. But if you would rather not try the original version we are happy to perform the ZERO on you!
In the last year BB has been under fire for it’s Formaldehyde free claim. It has been made to fully disclose all of it’s ingredients which does contain formaldehyde in
Our BB Treatment Process Step by Step
- When you first get to our BB certified salon, your stylist will put a drape on you and immediately start by shampooing your hair with the Brazilian Blowout shampoo designed to get rid of residue and retain natural moisture. This professional shampoo is sulfate free and humidity resistant – perfect for the smoothing process.
- Next our Brazilian Blowout certified stylist towel dry the hair begin sectioning off your hair and comb the treatment solution through your sections of hair starting at the root and finishing at the tip. The solution surrounds the hair shaft with a protective protein layer to smooth out the cuticle.
- Our stylist then will blow dry your hair straightening it out flat with a round or flat brush
- After the hair is completely dry we then flat iron 3 inch sections flat and smooth until they are completely straight.
- Next we will rinse the hair again (without shampoo) then towel dry and apply the Brazilian Blowout Masque which acts as a sealant on the hair. They will then wait about a minute and rinse the hair again (no shampoo) and towel dry.
- Then the BB smoothing serum is applied to further enhance the sealing formula. This also helps the detangle process before the final blow drying.
- Our stylist will then blow dry and straighten one final time and style your hair per your request
- Approx 90 minutes later you are finished!
For those wanting to know exactly what is in the Brazilian Blowout you can read their safety disclosure sheet here.
Our Professional Safety Tips Followed (BB safety tips)
- Apply product per manufacturers strict guidelines
- Proper ventilation should be available at all times (we use a Multitech s3500 Air Purifier) along with constant fresh air conditioning circulated throughout the salon at all times.
- Do not work in an enclosed area free from air flow
- A stylist must wear gloves at all times to prevent accidental contact or allergy
- Product should not be applied directly to customers scalp (although product will come in contact with scalp)
- Never perform BB treatment to customers with seriously damaged hair or scalp
- Do not apply too much solution to the hair, less is always more with Brazilian Blowout treatments
For a list of frequently asked questions regarding BB click here!
Wash Your Hair The Same Day
- Most keratin treatments require 24 to 48 hours before you shampoo you hair. Not BB! This treatment allows you the luxury of washing as soon as you get home, no wait needed!
- No down time! The minute you leave the salon, you can wash and air dry your hair, and it will be smooth, frizz-free and radiant!
Results last up to 12 weeks, sometimes longer with the use BB Acai aftercare products.
Before and After Pics
- Sulfate Free – The recommended shampoo and conditioner for Brazilian Blowout is a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. The reason for this is due to the harshness of sulfate products on the hair. It will diminish the effects of the treatment. So BB obviously recommends their products because of this reason and we can say with proven results that they work very well and keeping your BB treatment lasting at least 3 months and in many cases longer. It’s kind of like buying a race car and only using 87 octane gasoline when the engine requires and runs much better and more efficient on 93 octane. Get it?
Here is a list of the Brazilian Line of Products
- Shampoo – will help to retain moisture in the hair (sulfate free & resists humidity)
- Conditioner – Keeps color fresh and does not weigh down hair (UVA/UVB protection)
- Masque – For medium or coarse hair and acts like a mini BB in a bottle.
- Smoothing serum – for all hair types and acts as a protective barrier for styling products, chlorine and irons
- Straightening balm – Heat activated formula for straightening curls, frizz and environmental stress
- Shine spray – radiant shine and adds luster to dry hair, very good for frizz and little whispy hairs or fly aways
- Thermal root lift – incredible lift at the root giving you that salon blown look, instant lift and volume
- Polish – perfect for the pieces that give you the beach look, sexy and great for slicking back a pony tail
You want a Keratin Treatment Chattanooga? How about a Brazilian Keratin Treatment! Actually the BB is NOT a keratin treatment, it’s a smoothing treatment but it has the same effects with a much more positive result. Our staff is trained in the most popular brazilian hair straightening treatment on the planet.
To learn more visit Brazilian Blowout. See why Brazilian Blowout Chattanooga keratin treatments will never be the same.